Saturday, March 15, 2008

Vacation 2008- Part 2 - Food, Food, Food!!!




Every vacation we had, I always made sure that we got to eat what we have missed for so long in a year away from home.
I usually make a list:

1. Taho
2. Street food- fishball, kwek-kwek
3. Siopao
4. Siomai
5. Lechon baboy and/or lechon baka
6. Ube Cake
7. Balut
8. Itlog na maalat
9. Tuyo, dilis, danggit, daing na pusit
10. Jollibee spaghetti
11. Kuya Atiok’s kikiam
12. Pata bihon
13. Turon
14. Banana-q
15. Pork bbq
And the list can go on and on….
In addition to this, we got to try some restaurants, old and new.

Hubby and I were fortunate enough to be treated for a dinner by our friend, Karen Ayson. Noel was with us as well. She brought us to Oody’s- a Thai restaurant in Greenbelt.
It was dinner time, and the restaurant was almost full. The hostess was not there to book us a table so we took the liberty to take a table by ourselves.
We saw a lady doing a back massage to most customers while waiting for their food.
And Noel decided to try it. The massage was good, but the food was better.

Karen recommended their catfish salad- a mixture of shredded green mangoes, veggies, fried catfish and oriental dressing. The texture was good, and the sourness of the mangoes in combination with the dressing worked up our appetites.

Then came the sour prawn soup, not much to say. It was served steaming hot, 3-4 prawns were seen with some limp veggies.
The glass noodle rolls were fantastic… I will definitely come back just for this one. I will make sure I will order a least 2 plates of this yummy, heavenly rolls.
The beef stir-fried with the veggies was just cooked right. There is still crunch with the veggies and the sauce was not overpowering.
The shrimp paste rice is the same old binagoongan rice with some eggs, meat and the usual accompaniments. However, this complemented the stir-fried beef.

After this, we went to Café Breton for dessert. A decision we never regretted. This café still consistently serves the best crepes since I last tried this restaurant, that was 3 years ago.

We ordered coffee shake, which I was not able to take a picture, I think, it did not last that long in the table… I supposed that I have gulped it..? :) It was not so sweet but the caffeine just shoots through your taste buds. It was not that too milky or too creamy shake but the right proportion of coffee and cream was just enough for me to say, I have to have it again.
And the ultimate quest of the night was the crepe… forgot the name but not the crepe itself…moist crepe with silky nutella spread, nuts and bananas with cream on top and drizzle of chocolate sauce. Good that I have to share it with Noel, Karen and hubby, otherwise, am sure my sugar level will just rise up… honestly, I can finish it all by myself.

Another restaurant we visited was… Shakey’s. Just cannot leave Manila without having their thin crust Hawaiian delight… got to be thin crust! Noel treated me, hubby , mom and sis for a pizza night. There was a buy one, take one promo but the pizza must be family size.., we also ordered Manager’s choice due to the promo. So there we were… enjoying this simple thin crust pizza, crisp, flavorful and certainly not to be missed.
My sis and I shared their mocha shake, but nothing to rave about.. after my experience with Café Breton’s coffee shake, I have a standard that is waiting to be exceeded.

No comments: