Friday, April 6, 2007

Getting Married in Dubai- my love story

"I now pronounce you man and wife..."


I was single and very much available when I arrived in Dubai, year 2002.
I met my husband here. Also a Filipino. Ironic... we both lived in the Philippines and only here in Dubai that we got to meet and fell in love.

We used to work in the same company. But we were from different department.
We first became barkadas- Chris (my hubby), Randie, Yzel and me.The usual barkada lakads to the beach, bars and restaurants turned to solo dates for Chris and me.

To make a long story short, Chris proposed to me in Canada while we were enjoying fully his prize for being the "Star Employee of the Year", a trip for two to any branch of our hotel of our choice, airline tickets, free food and beverage to any restaurants within the hotel of our choice, free hotel stays and an extra US$500.00.

After enjoying that trip, we went to Phils for a vacation and he met my family and I met his. He then already stated his intention to marry me to both of our families.

Since I believe that we should not work in the same company as a future couple, we decided to apply outside to other companies, still in Dubai. Whoever gets to have a good offer, will resign in our company. Chris got to have a good offer first and he took it. So, at that time, I was not entitled for a single accommodation so he needs to live out.

Remember, that in Dubai, it is difficult for a couple to be seen living together without marriage because it is not allowed by Islam religion. If caught, both will be subjected to imprisonment (i think for one year) and deportation after serving sentence.Realistically, kabayans know all about this, but still kept doing it. Malalakas yata ang loob ng ating mga kababayan.

So for us to live together, we decided to get married in Dubai via Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi. We asked for the requirements: This was 2004

1. CENOMAR from NSO duly approved and red ribboned by DFA, Malacanang and UAE Embassy in Phils
2. Birth certificate
3. Application form
4. Passport copies of the couple and sponsors or witnesses (min of 2)

Then our wedding banns were displayed for 15 days. After that we got a call for wedding date confirmation.
With two witnesses, Randie and Lourdes, a hired car lift driven by a fellow kabayan, Kuya Jun, we drove to Abu Dhabi for 2 hours from Dubai.

When we arrived, we were the sixth couple. I am the only one not pregnant and the only one with a bloody red bouquet of roses. We had a mass wedding, short and concise. The trip was longer than the ceremony.

Then we had a buffet lunch back in Dubai.

Now, the Phil. Consulate located in Dubai can perform marriage rites to Filipinos.

And just last Jan 8 2006, we had our Church Wedding in the Philippines.
And better yet, I am now entitled for a single accommodation provided by my company, so my hubby is living with me.

No comments: