Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Dec 25, 2007 Part 1- Bento-Ya Kitchen

Ten Chili Roll


My hubby and I decided to dine outside for Dec 25 dinner. One of our favorite restaurant is Bento-Ya Kitchen- located along Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai. This Japanese restaurant is small, hidden in a corner, that's why it is like finding a jewel in a city jungle.It has 2 floors for dining and a small open kitchen in the ground floor.
We have been here twice and I have observed that the place is always filled up with Japanese families and loners. The place is neat, clutter-free, with few restaurant review articles posted around the place. The menu has lots of various items on a classified basis- appetizers, soups,bento packages, sushi platters, noodles and rice dishes, making it harder to choose-but quite an adventure.

I usually order California Maki but this time I tried the Ten Chili roll, a decision I never regretted. It came in 8 pieces(I never get to know why it was named ten).
The rice is interspersed with what I perceive as black sesame seeds and in the middle is a crunchy, filling ebi tempura topped with a teaspoon of chili sauce just right enough to tingle my taste buds. Served with the usual soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger. The textural enjoyment of this dish makes it unforgettable. Soft rice, crunchy sesame seeds and the soft-crunchy ebi tempura as you enjoy each bite.


Ebi Udon


The real reason we decided to dine here is because my hubby suddenly craved for this dish. He likes the mild sweetness of its soup, told him it is because of an ingredient called, mirin. Though usually served with fat noodles, my hubby initially requested for buckwheat noodles, yet was given an option of thinner noddles,which he chose. I tried the dish and found myself wrestling my way for more than a taste. The noodles are just right to the bite, the eggplant, and the ebi tempura complemented each other. The dish is not oily, which I believe makes this dish a star of its own. It is filling and refreshing. Hubby swears he will order 2 bowls next time, hahaha!


Hubby enjoying the last drop!

Though, there are still room for improvement for this restaurant. A great dish should come with great service. The Filipina waitress, smiling and welcoming, can improve more by being knowledgeable in its menu items. This will allow the diners to be guided on what to try, and build confidence on the waitress' recommendations. This time, I relied on my own instincts (which I usually do), but having a good waitress/server to inform you what the restaurant can best offer is much more helpful.

Need I say more?!


AED 95 including one diet coke and one big bottle of water.

No comments: